Re: [pygame] Multimedia: was: Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

On Oct 25, 2004, at 14:20, thor wrote:

On 25 Oct 2004, at 17:07, Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:36, Jack Nutting wrote:

An idea suddenly popped into my head. Instead of (or in addition to) making the pygame launcher a standalone program, how about turning it into a.... (drumroll please) browser plugin?!

I searched around a bit, and afaict no one has made and released a Python browser plugin yet. It seems that python+pygame would make a really great alternative to flash or java applets for many purposes (particularly for people on this list).

Sound interesting? Or am I putting the cart before the horse here?
This is a massive security hole. Python can not be sandboxed like Javascript, Java or Flash. Not a great idea.
It would be great to have some way of writing multimedia for browsers in python.
But Jack, can you not use Jython for browser stuff. (I don't have a clue).
You can, but Jython is Python 2.1 and doesn't have the kind of library support that CPython does (i.e. no pygame, for example).

What would be more interesting to me would be to see some
effort put into making python more attractive as a platform for multimedia creation
(not necessarily for browsers but just in general).

For example being able to use GUI elements in pygame or at least
allow wxPython and pygame to work in the same program.

In pygame the developer cannot allow the user to click on a File,
Edit, View, etc menues, because it is made for games and
nothing else.
You can do this on OS X.. pygame is more or less fully interoperable with Cocoa via PyObjC. Having pygame and Cocoa widgets in the same window would require a good amount of hacking due to the way that SDL works with the Cocoa backend, but should be possible. Separate (Cocoa-based) windows, menus, etc. is most certainly possible because I've done it before.

But hey! There is a world out there which is now being
occupied with Flash, Director, Java, Processing and could so easily
be won by the beauty, friendliness and opensourceness of Python.
I don't think that any current Python solution can really come anywhere near Flash or Director on any points other than price and development language. A pygame+Numeric equivalent to Processing is certainly possible, and wouldn't be a huge effort to develop, but it's certainly not there yet out of the box.

-bob