Re: [pygame] Multimedia: was: Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

Hi again !

You can do this on OS X.. pygame is more or less fully interoperable with Cocoa via PyObjC. Having pygame and Cocoa widgets in the same window would require a good amount of hacking due to the way that SDL works with the Cocoa backend, but should be possible. Separate (Cocoa-based) windows, menus, etc. is most certainly possible because I've done it before.
But here we loose one of the main beauties of Python, being cross-platform!
For a developer to be able to write the same code for each platform is fantastic.
It would be a dream to see Python develop that way. (with it's libraries such
as pygame).

But hey! There is a world out there which is now being
occupied with Flash, Director, Java, Processing and could so easily
be won by the beauty, friendliness and opensourceness of Python.
I don't think that any current Python solution can really come anywhere near Flash or Director on any points other than price and development language.
Speed? I wonder if python/pygame shouldn't be much faster to do rendering than Flash or Director?
Although it couldn't probably do vectors as easily as Flash.

A pygame+Numeric equivalent to Processing is certainly possible, and wouldn't be a huge effort to develop, but it's certainly not there yet out of the box.
Well, the nice thing about Processing is that you can extend your Processing code with ALL the ability
of Java itself. Thus it is extremely wide environment if you're willing to go out of the Processing world
and enter the world of Java. And then you've got a cross platform environment that is quite powerful.

Messing around with PyObjC on Mac, trying wxPython on PC and I don't know what to do on Linux
just to make a cross platform application that draws something on a panel is quite cumbersome and not fun.
I feel like this is missing from Python, but I am sorry to say that I don't write C and can't do it myself.
It would be extremely interesting project though and should increase the popularity of Python enormously.
Just look at Processing.

ok, enough : )

thor