Re: SEUL:What's the diff to SEUL ?

kai writes:
> Hmm, I must admit that I have no clue what demand-dial is,...

Normally, when the kernel gets a packet addressed to a host to which it has
no route it just returns "no route to host".  With demand-dial, it instead
tells pppd to bring up the ppp link.  Thus, I can type "ftp ftp.debian.org"
when off-line and have ppp come up automatically.

> ... but no matter who or what is causing the number of my ISP to be
> called, I _must_ be prompted for it.

Then you might as well use one of the available pppd front-ends.

> This notification must be done because otherwise the modem will stay
> switched off, or I'll be calling someone on the same line, etc.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  I have a shared phone line and
demand-dial works fine for me. My system doesn't dial unless it can get
dialtone.

> ...an info field to indicate how long I've been connected and maybe a
> little line stating how much money I've spend today/this month so far ...
> And if it _tells_ me whether the ISDN was successful or whether it had to
> use the 14.4 fallback, even better.

So what you want is a ppp monitoring and reporting utility.  Not at all
incompatible with demand-dial.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)