gEDA-user: Change the subject line! [WAS: Re: zview/ngscope]

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 16:00 -0600, John Doty wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2011, at 3:06 PM, RubÃn GÃmez Antolà wrote:
> >
> > You are right but, what about the users?
>
> I *am* a user. gEDA is software that caters to the needs of users. But
> it's not for passive *consumers* of software. There are plenty of
> other tools for them. I sincerely hope that gEDA's power and
> productivity are never abridged to make it more palatable to
> consumers.

Could I remind people to change the subject line when things start
straying from the original subject at hand please.

Whilst I'm here (and no - the subject isn't right for it, is it ;)), I
will just second John's statement that gEDA + Makefiles is a very
powerful thing.

I've just been collating some documentation for my thesis, and have been
enjoying the ability to type a single "make" command, and regenerate my
70+ page PDF schematic after having made minor edits to the colour
scheme file.

Combine this with LyX / LaTeX, and the pdfpages package, and you can do
some very nice things.

I'm all for adding more GUI integration and giving people the option of
using a GUI as well, but gEDA's strength is that the command line flows
work really well too.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,