Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

If anybody's interested there's a lot of info on previous attempts to
produce standards based EDA formats here;

http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlAndEDA.html

this is probably old hat to many of you!

My assessment is;

1. They tried to cover way too much in one go with edaXML, PCB's, MCM,
fat symbols, basically trying to encapsulate all possible EDA data in
one description and thus produced a complex format that was difficult
to implement and poorly adopted.

2. Saying something is standards based as it's XML is a bit of a joke,
as far as I know no open tools to read the format were ever produced.

3. I think it was a good idea that was before it's time, most EE's
still were not that internet savvy back in 2000.

Anyway it's looking dead easy to have gschem symbols <-> SVG . Should
have something on Github shortly.