Re: gEDA-user: Creating bill of materials?

   On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Joshua <[1]Joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

     I agree with Delorie.  I also was only making slow progress with
     gattrib.  I found the copy and paist functionality limited and
     strange. I also was confronted with the add column bug.  If I
     remember correctly it corrupted my files when it shifted the
     properties from one heading to the next.  That is why I started
     exporting to a oocalc.  Then I was able to get a lot more work done
     as oocalc is a refined product.  I hadn't found the sch2csv or
     csv2sch scripts at that time and thus made my own version called
     gattrib_csv.  Not only have I been able to edit the properties
     en-mass, but I have also been able to import data generated by other
     users provided as xls files.  I now use the one and the same tool to
     generate the bill of materials for the project as I do to edit the
     properties.
     [2]http://public.laserlinc.com/Joshua/gattrib_csv.java
     compiled by
     gcj  --main=gattrib_csv -o gattrib_csv gattrib_csv.java

   Yes, the functionality of those (DJ Delorie) scripts (from what little
   I have been able to find that describes what they do), seem to fit the
   attribute edit and BoM generation requirements very nicely.  I hope I
   can say the same after I try them out.
   So, this causes me to ask the question: Why hasen't gattrib been
   removed from:[3]http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gaf ???? as well as any
   other instances?
   While the concept is good, the implementation is worthless, and
   apparently has been 'around' with the same sort of problems since
   2006.  As a person who is trying to give the gEDA approach a try,
   frustrations mount daily in trying to make progress.
   This brings up another issue that I am curious about....the one of
   component symbol libraries.
   My expectation (hope, guess?) was with an effort that is open source,
   users would contribute their symbols to the library, and the symbol
   library would be huge.  I didn't find that reality.  I assumed this
   because users would 'giveback' to the community.  Clearly some have
   done this. I plan on doing this (if I continue down this path).  So why
   hasen't the component mfgs been inclined to develop and contribute
   symbols?  Why hasen't the users contributed more?  Perhaps there are
   not too many users.  Perhaps it is a case of: The tools have been built
   but the users are not comming.    Anyway, just curious....
   -John