Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:34:04PM +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>
> > I like KMK's
> >>    click/double-click idea if possible.
> >
> > Very possible. But you would still be unable to toggle visibility
> > independent of selection using the mouse.
>
> Why is this so? Are double clicked items automatically selected
> in GTK widgets?

They are in a GtkTreeView. It's a nasty, inflexible widget.

> > How important is this to people?
>
> Quite important. When working with four layer layouts I often
> need to toggle visibility of layers while I keep working one
> of the inner layers.
>
> > It bothers me, but only because there is no keyboard
> > shortcut in Gtk for toggling visibility.
>
> I'd prefer to have both: Mouse click action and keyboard accels.

I've gotten the swatch-clicking to work by catching mouse clicks
over the visibility toggle column and preventing those clicks from
propagating to the GtkTreeView.

You say you don't want to reach for a tiny area with the mouse.
I have increased the swatch size. Take a look at:

http://wpsoftware.net/andrew/dump/mockup3.png

The swatches are far larger than the radio buttons, have more
visibly clickable area (as they are square), and contrast with
their surroundings more.

> > My plan is that you can still toggle visibility by <Shift>-num,
> > without changing the active layer.
> >
> > The problem with this, of course, is that it will only work with
> > the first 10 layers..
>
> [ctrl-num] to select 11 to 20, [shift-ctrl-num] to toggle visibility.
> [alt-num] to select 21 to 30, [shift-ctrl-num] to toggle visibility.
> [alt-ctrl-num] to select 31 to 40, [shift-alt-ctrl-num] for visibility ;-)

Heey, I like that. For compatibility with lesstif we should switch
<Shift> and <Ctrl>, but otherwise I'm all for this.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/