Re: gEDA-user: Creating bill of materials?

On Aug 19, 2011, at 7:27 AM, Joshua wrote:

> --
> It's useful for "touch up" of a few attributes, but not for the broad changes you want. The spreadsheet approach really doesn't scale well anyway. If you have 300 bypass capacitors in a project, it's much more efficient to have a "heavy" project-specific bypass capacitor symbol with all of the necessary attributes inside it. Then, to change your bypass capacitor selection, you need only edit that one symbol rather than 300 instances
> --
>
> Not true with gattrib_csv.  All 300 instances are grouped together on one line if all their properties are the same.  One edit and an import and then all 300 have been updated.  gattrib_csv scales very nicely to large projects.

What if the components are in 38 separate schematic files, as in one recent project of mine? The project-specific component approach makes managing this pretty easy. You can even switch project component libraries to change components from prototype to production without changing schematics.

All properties the same is not a reliable indicator that the components have similar roles. Sometimes I have strong pressures to keep the parts list short, so I'll choose general-purpose components and use them in multiple roles. Other times, I'm optimizing more. With project evolution and design reuse, these scenarios can become very entangled.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx