Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

John.

As a ground rule I think you should let Al speak for himself. Thus you
are free to claim discomfort when others put their interpretations of
your ideas as quotes from you.

If you want you can say.... "I think Al wants "the structural subset" of
verilog to be the data base."  Showing you are trying to understand what
Al is saying as upposed to some ability that "Ah" (southern enounciation
that Ah preffer) lack of reading Al's mind. I struggle to read my own
and jumping from mine to reading my wifes is frought with danger so that
jumping further and into the mind of another engineer/scientist is
unimagenably small. Its probably easier to attach one of DJ's 0105
capacitors to his soldering challenge board by aht leeeast couple of
orders of magnitude.

Steve Meier

ps additional comment follow

John Doty wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Steve Meier wrote:
>

>> No the database is built into the strucure of the library. verilog,
>> vhdl
>> and spice are just reflections of that internal database.
>>

> That's your vision. But Al wants "the structural subset" of Verilog
> to be the database.
>

>> Is a schematic which is referenced via a source= attribute embedded?
>>

> That's not our terminology. "Embedded" means present as a complete
> object in the schematic file.

fair enough is associated a better word?

>> That is what I ment. Similarily to have an attribute which reads vhdl=
>> or verilog= or spice= and then pulling the code or a reference to the
>> code and includding that into the final netlist embedded or just
>> refferenced...
>>

> We have file= for SPICE already. But it would make more sense to have
> a SPICE-specific attribute. Also, pinseq= is confusing.

the specification of attributes is always fair game so i think you are
agreeing that we should have specific source= for each supported language.

I am almost (painfully close) able to use scripts to read and write
schematics and symbols so being able to translate from an older version
to a newer should be streight forward and thus allow migration of
source= as a spice specific attribute to SpiceSource= and thus
encouraging the VHDLSource= or what ever maybe even including additional
info such as which "standard" of spice.

Again the power of a scripting language.

Steve Meier