Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

If the schematic at least initialy uses a generic set of pins then there
could exist an application that interfaces to a db that would allow you
to select the actual device giving you both the footprint and the symbol
with the real pins. Change your mind during layout then have pcb go back
reselct the package then using back annotation you would correct the
schematic. This would allow designing with a generic set of components
and then switching components at simulation time until you get the model
working then picking the real package thus finalizing the BOM and
generating your initial pcb files and an eco schematic file.

Having, an application build fpga symbols and being given options as to
how to make legal use of io pins would be very sweet.

Being able to take a schematic and build a complex simulation netlist
that includes hdl as well as analog and being able to simulate the whole
enchalada down to drc rule checking would reduce the number of design flaws.

I do like the vission now If iI can figure out the bug that I introduced
in my netlister while switching from c code to scripts for inporting
schematics.

Ohh I don't use spell checkers for most emails especially when talking
with engineers is in honor of Ken Thompson and the creat system call. OK
if you don't buy that answer then its because I am lazzy and feal that I
shouldn't have to standardize my spelling for a language which froze its
spelling before the pronounciation froze. But then if I had been
required to learn a foreign language in collage I was going to argue c
as my native language and english as my second language.

Steve Meier

"its a poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word"