Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB

On Dec 15, 2007, at 12:45 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
>> Would you like A database GUI component chooser in gschem etc.. which
>> _only_ lets you pick from the database?
>
> Ack!!! You mean forcing myself do be organized and have my parts
> database up to snuff before whacking out a schematic?  Being systematic
> and consistent and all that?  You want to take away all the fun :)
>
> Actually, it would be very nice if there were a way to integrate a the
> component chooser dialog so that the option existed to pick up part
> number and and footprint (and other attributes) from a database.

   Please forgive me for jumping in, but I thought I'd throw my opinion
in here, having had some experience with this sort of design, though
not for anything EDA-related.  Perhaps what is needed here is the
concept of "data sources", with a defined API that forms an abstraction
layer between gschem and the component database(s), whatever
format/database type/etc they may be stored in.  That way, "data source
modules" (MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, flat files, whatever) could be
implemented, even as dynamically loadable modules, and instantiated by
config file statements.

   As this'd be a layer of abstraction between gschem and the actual
component data, it would (and should) be transparent to the user, who
would simply be presented with the standard component chooser dialog
which would serve to "unify" the data.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire