Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Wikibook ?

On Sat, 2010-12-25 at 09:50 +0100, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
> > Not always a "low entry barrier" is a real benefit.
>
> Wikipedia beats each and every encyclopedic dictionary
> in existance. Nupedia, with the same aim but higher barrier
> produced less than 100 article were started of which a mere 24
> passed the review process in the three years the project lasted.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nupedia

Yes, wikipedia is great, but it is very special. Basically each entry is
a own topic, so a single author can work on one entry, without a clue
off the rest. Most of the time this works, but still sometimes this
leads to redundancy. For writing a book having many authors often is a
problem, two or 3 authors can be already to much. Here in germany we use
the term "many cooks destroy the foot, viele Köche verderben den Brei".
When wikipedia started years ago, most access to Internet was possible
from universities only, restricting many fools. Today a really large
part of new stuff in wikipedia is being deleted soon, for various
reasons. That may be necessary to ensure quality standards, but make
some authors unhappy. And finally, Wikipedia has very many proofreaders,
this ensures quality. For more special wikis things are worse, you can
find outdated, wrong and silly entries.