Re: gEDA-user: Re: Which are the biggest looking gEDA warts?

Stephen Williams wrote:
Dan McMahill wrote:

John Griessen wrote:

wart -- Is there a way to set up iverilog with gtkwave? Why is ver
2.0 seemingly dead? and the latest version debian package is 1.3.81? And gtkwave seems to have two home page sites saying they have the
most recent version -- one 1.3.24 and the other 3.0.22?

I have one word for that. ok, maybe 2. "mmmmmm dinotrace".

Seriously, I don't know why I don't hear more about dinotrace here and
less about gtkwave.  Not to bash gtkwave, but dinotrace has been around
for a long time and has worked fairly well everytime I needed a vcd
viewer to go with some verilog sims.

Because GTKwave is the most talked about? It's also neatly ported
and packaged for many platforms. Also, when you get more advanced,
there is the LXT2 format that Icarus Verilog and GTKWave support
that is a compressed waveform dump format.

But instructions for using dinotrace with Icarus Verilog are
certainly welcome: <http://iverilog.wikia.com> I recommend starting
with a note in the FAQ page that would point to a dinotrace page.

ummmm are instructions needed?

Put this in your verilog code:

      $dumpfile("My_Testbench.dmp");
      $dumpvars(0, My_Testbench);

run the verilog sim.

dinotrace My_Testbench.dmp

As far as being packaged, dinotrace has been in NetBSD's pkgsrc for 7 years now.

I guess whats really needed is a FAQ entry of "Q: What free signal viewers are available that work with Icarus Verilog?" with "A: gtkwave and dinotrace".

Dinotrace also has an emacs major mode that lets you do some cross probing to your verilog source although I haven't used that so much. But I don't think there was anything which would make it work differently with Icarus Verilog over any other verilog.

-Dan