Re: gEDA-user: Bug report for renaming slots [Was: Re: gEDA on windows]

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 17:01 -0800, Joerg wrote:
>
>> Ok, done. I hope it's acceptable that I did it without login. It called
>> me "nobody" (probably I did something wrong there) but I've included my
>> email address.
>
> We prefer non-anonymous reports, but that is mainly so we can get in
> touch if needed. You left your email, so its fine - although you won't
> get any automatic emails from Sourceforge if the bug gets further
> comments, or changes status.

Ok, thanks for explaining, next time I'll register before filing.

>> Since the file format is open in gschem it would probably be possible to
>> correct this problem with some kind of nifty "find and replace" routine.
>> However, I am not much of programmer, otherwise I'd do it and share.
>
> I'm not familiar with how the various renumbering utilities work, so
> I'll leave it to their respective authors rather than getting into it
> too deep myself.
>
> I've noticed through usage that gschem's internal renumbering utility
> doesn't like it when I've got slotted components though - so if no-one
> else looks at fixing it, I might give it an attempt.

That would be cool. I could imagine lots of people having a problem with
it. Mostly in the analog or low-noise digital world where slotted
devices need to be on their own personal RC-filtered supply net.

I am not a programmer but one method I could imagine would be to have a
switch that disallows splintering up slotted devices, meaning the
devices can get other refdeses but it must be the same for all slots of
a device. It's the same for transistor arrays when temperature-tracking
will be lost if slots are mixed up. I believe it would be ok to do such
disallow or allow as a general setting, for the whole schematic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/