Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Griessen wrote:
> Joerg wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Stuart, that's all I really wanted to do, bringing some feedback
>> based on what I see in industry. As a consultant I get around a lot,
>> seeing all kinds of CAD systems and habits of people. Some of this is
>> very different from what many in this group (and also in the EDA
>> industry) think. For example, only three of my clients do their own
>> layouts, all the others and myself farm that out. So to design engineers
>> (in industry/consulting) the layout tool isn't too important, schematic
>> capture is what they use all the time. And they abhor dual-boot systems.
>
> Sure, that's the typical design engineer employee's attitude -- faster faster, don't bug me with the details
> that aren't critical.   Doesn't help niche market engineers or moonlight engineers as much.

I work a lot with those as well. Sometimes there are half a dozen
freelancers and only very few employees collaborating on a project. IME
those freelancers (I am one of them ...) work in a similar way. Time is
money :-)

> The openness of non-locked data plus ability to create custom work flows
> is why we work on free code.  We want it to be super easy and intuitive,
> and run on any platform, it just takes time and effort.  We probably want
> about the same things you do...but averages are not all...  EE designers are
> very individual and often make their own styles of work different from others at their
> same company.

Yes, there will be other styles. That's why many of us should give
feedback. I work mostly in med electronics and there we place a huge
emphasis on the feedback from surgeons, cardiologists and so on. They
are only interested in the end product and they tell us exactly how it
should be. This is also why we often stand alongside them in the cardio
lab, getting a back pain from the lead vests. Just to understand why
they want the product a certain way.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/