Re: gEDA-user: Slot naming improvement methods.

Hi John,

[snip]The way gnetlist works, the refdes is the identifier.
Changing this will break all of the back ends.

They can do it as long as they confine their interpretation
of their refdes "Ufoo?moo" in their own gnet-foomoo.scm, or
use their own application specific gnetlist C/SCM.

But if they insist they have to change it at the gschem
or gnetlist's C codes so that all the backends must conform
to their interpretation, then I have to voice my concern.

gnet-verilog.scm does not impose any BUS[31:0] kind of
restriction on any other backends. Other backends do
not load gnet-verilog.scm.

Other backends could even insist upon their own that
every BUS must have "foo_" prefix, as long as it is
within their own gnet-foomoo.scm.

Thats one of the most powerful feature of gEDA.

Looking at gnet-PCB??.scm, I can see that they could use more
of already available gnetlist C/SCM capabilities or add their
own if needed. Just do NOT force them upon other backends.

Best Regards,
Paul Tan