Re: gEDA-user: Adding Auto-thermals Was:Re: Thanks a million, and few small questions for a new user

DJ Delorie wrote:
> Consider a ground plane on the back of a two-layer board.  It's a big
> rectangle.  However, traces on the back may "cut out" part of the
> rectangle to leave a bare area.  You cannot use a thermal to connect
> to the ground plane here, but if you just look at the big rectangle
> you'd think you could.
>
> This is less of an issue if the ground plane is on an internal layer,
> only because there's less chance of there being traces there.  Still
> you have to check no matter which layer it's on.

Got it! Thanks! When I briefly tried putting a polygon over existing
traces, I thought it connected
them all together. I didn't know that polygons automatically kept away
from traces,
or that traces could cut out of a polygon.

I'll have to experiment some more on that!

Thanks,

-Jesse