Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:05 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Yes, sadly gEDA is a high productivity toolkit for spaceflight
>> hardware, ASIC design, merging tabular design data with graphical
>> design data, symbolic circuit analysis, and even hydraulics.
>
> No matter what I say, you'll find a way to disagree with me.

Eh? I've already agreed with you on a couple of occasions just today. I only disagree with you when you're wrong ;-)

> I *meant* sadly, the results are THE ONES YOU NOTED - that each tool
> interprets the data differently, leading to all sorts of
> incompatibilities and assumptions about what the core data means.

And to a degree this is inevitable across such a wide range of applications. The important thing for the future is to avoid *forcing* a limited interpretation of the data in the core functions. The problem, for example, with slotting in layout and simulation is that the common assumption in the core doesn't fit all cases. It would be easy to make it work compatibly if that common code didn't exist.

It's exactly the opposite of what you're expressing here: spice-gdb can't handle slotting because it *cannot* apply the correct assumptions about what the core data means in its context. The core code forces an interpretation that's only valid for layout, not simulation.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx