Re: gEDA-user: good books about footprint and land patterns

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:03:33 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>
>> Hence I added "caveat fair use".
>
> Note, there is no "fair use" clause in non Anglo American copyright law.

But there should be.

> However, there is a "threshold of originality" that is a prerequisite for
> the application of copyright. This threshold is considerably higher in
> European law, than in America.
>
> E.g. usenet postings are considered below this threshold by default.
> There may be exceptions. But their originality has to be proven on case
> by case base.

Probably same here in the US. Most of all, Usenet can establish prior
art evidence when two parties duke it out over a patent.

>> So, the license process goes:
>>
>> author -> gedasymbols (to allow browsing) author -> user (to allow use
>> and/or redistribution)
>>
>> Specifically, it does NOT go gedasymbols->user.  I don't want to be a
>> license middle-man.
>
> Another difference between Anglo American law and the rest of the world:
> Under European law an author can't give away the copyright on his work.
> He can grant the right to use to others. But he cannot pass the copyright
> itself. ...

That is strange. Maybe that's one reason why companies over there are so
reluctant to use consultants. In pretty much all my consulting
agreements, whenever I design something patentable and that was done on
(paid) client time it's theirs to patent. Says so in my standard
agreement. I recently had a lengthy negotiation with a foreign client
and basically said "Look, my agreement even gives you more rights in
that area than your version". They signed it :-)

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/