Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0

On May 12, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
   I rebuilt pango v1.28.0 against the cairo installation that ships
with OS X v10.6 X11, then it worked perfectly.

That is positive, it sort-of tells me that cairo "might" be the problem,
not pango.

Can you post me your config.log files from your builds of:

cairo (as not working)
pango (as not working, built against the above cairo - if you still have
it)
pango (as built against the working OS X cairo).

I suspect a trawl through those will enlighten me as to what font
back-ends are being used by both cairo versions.

Here's the tail end of a ./configure run from cairo; I can send the entire config.log if desired. I'll have to re-do the two pango builds...that's not a big deal; I'll try to do that tonight. In the meantime let me know if you want the entire cairo config.log or if this will suffice. (there's more to my reply below this block) This is from a G5 running 10.4, the output is identical to that of an x86 running 10.6 with the exception of "ps testing". Again, these are the builds that don't work.

---------------------------------------
cairo (version 1.8.10 [release]) will be compiled with:

The following surface backends:
  Image:         yes (always builtin)
  Xlib:          yes
  Xlib Xrender:  yes
  Quartz:        yes
  Quartz-image:  no (disabled, use --enable-quartz-image to enable)
  XCB:           no (disabled, use --enable-xcb to enable)
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  OS2:           no (disabled, use --enable-os2 to enable)
  PostScript:    yes
  PDF:           yes
  SVG:           yes
  glitz:         no (disabled, use --enable-glitz to enable)
  BeOS:          no (disabled, use --enable-beos to enable)
  DirectFB:      no (disabled, use --enable-directfb to enable)

The following font backends:
  User:          yes (always builtin)
  FreeType:      yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  Quartz:        yes

The following functions:
  PNG functions: yes

And the following internal features:
  gcov support:  no
  test surfaces: no (disabled, use --enable-test-surfaces to enable)
  ps testing:    yes
  pdf testing:   no (requires poppler-glib >= 0.9.2)
  svg testing:   no (requires librsvg-2.0 >= 2.15.0)
---------------------------------------

I don't know how that cairo was built, nor do I know what release it is. This is especially frustrating because I didn't even know cairo was included with 10.6; I just got this machine recently (Macbook Air, from my employer) and hadn't noticed that cairo was a part of the standard X
install.

What is the filename of the library? (On Linux I'd check with ldd `which
gschem` or similar).

Under OS X, that'd be "otool -l `which gschem`". Its output is much longer and less useful than ldd. Here's the relevant section:

          cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
      cmdsize 56
         name /usr/X11/lib/libcairo.2.dylib (offset 24)
   time stamp 2 Wed Dec 31 19:00:02 1969
      current version 10803.6.0
compatibility version 10803.0.0
Load command 16

(interesting timestamp...it bears no resemblance to the timestamp on the file itself)

  I wish we could find out how it was built.

                  -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL