Re: gEDA-user: )(

Hi Frank,

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 21:50 +0000, Frank Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:12:12 +0200, Bert Timmerman wrote:
>
> > PCB output for a "3D-view" in Blender (or AutoCAD if you live in the
> > "other" universe) is somewhere on the bottom of my todo list.
> >
> > To keep things decoupled from the pcb perspective ...
>
> I would prefer this.
>
> > ...I would suggest one
> > (or more) plugins/exporter-HIDs that generate a python script for use
> > with Blender.
>
> For the very first steps: In the xyfile you have the footprints and the
> x- and y-coordinates. With this informations it should be possible to
> use the python scripting extension in blender to produce some 3D output
> (or maybe with povray). This way some experience for such python/blender
> scripting can be gained.

I would rather start with a plug-in from within pcb with an ELEMENT_LOOP
reading attribute name/value pairs giving clues about package family,
height, width, length, shape, lead count and so on.

Names of packages may be random chosen, those name/value pairs should
not ;-)

> And python is not a difficult language. With some programming experience
> almost everyone can use python. Simple mapping of some predefined models
> (smt res and caps as plain boxes) to the coordinates from the xyfile should
> give the first results.

Will give these a try ... (to be continued)

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.