Re: gEDA-user: coordinate systems [was: pcb crooked traces]

At 11:47 AM 10/17/2010, you wrote:
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 05:31:42PM +0200, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 17.10.2010 um 17:16 schrieb Levente Kovacs:
>
> >I think that is why X11 has its coordinate system as is; and that
> >is why PCB
> >developers went that way. But a CAD tool is not about CRT display
> >or image
> >processing. I think we should change it; it looks very awkward for
> >a new user, who doesn't know the story.
>

> Being a new gEDA user and fairly experienced with other CAD
> applications I can tell I couldn't care less. If one ever has to
> enter or read coordinates manually, there's something incomplete or
> wrong with the GUI.

I disagree. There are situations I can think of in which manually
entering coordinates would be simpler than using a "GUI" method.

I definitely think we sould flip the coordinate grid, but what
would that do to exiting files?

Isn't the rev number of the software stored in the schematic file? If so, the software can interpret accordingly.

If the coordinates the user sees are Y+ = top to bottom, then I agree that they should be flipped. In layout, the rest of the tool system uses Y+ = bottom to top, it would be very confusing for the Gerber file to be one way and the layout tool another.

Rick