Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 21:43 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> The update code is sadly pretty dumb.
>
> What I wanted to ensure was fast, would be panning / zooming, which
> involved full frame redraws. I want to optimise that first, _then we can
> make the editing small areas case lightning fast.

Unfortunately there are not much examples, at least not for clever
buffering with cairo.

My guess: For zooming we have to do a complete redraw of the visible
area. For panning: I intend to draw to a buffer, which dimension
increases when we zoom in, and copy a part of that buffer to the smaller
cairo drawing area of the GTK window. So panning is fast, only copy.
Moving a symbol: Mark that symbol as invisible, draw buffer, copy area
of buffer to window, draw moving symbol to window. For each new frame:
Copy area of buffer, draw that moving symbol. I guess that may work,
even for slow Ruby. Of course for PCB and OpenGL all is more difficult.
Recently I was wondering if that Clutter library may be useful, but I
think that will make all more complicated.

 http://www.clutter-project.org/