Re: gEDA-user: gschem guile scripting

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 22:12 +0100, Bert Timmerman wrote:

> FYI according to ohloh.net:
>
> gEDA approx. 31 person years effort (http://www.ohloh.net/p/gEDA)
>
> Pcb approx. 32 person years effort (http://www.ohloh.net/p/pcb)
>
> The difference in LOC is not much larger:
>
> gEDA approx. 126k LOC (excluding blanks and comments).
>
> Pcb approx. 127K LOC (excluding blanks and comments).
>
> I think it's a draw ;-)

Really interesting, I was not aware of such a page.

Of course I was talking about writing a clone, which is much less work
than writing the original. And for things like an schematic editor or
netlist generation we have today much support by OO languages and useful
libraries like cairo. For PCB stuff like DRC, autorouter  and Gerber
there is not much support. Personally I consider gaf bloated, by mixing
C/guile and splitting into so many parts. Why can gschem not do netlist
generation (optional in a non GUI mode) and do symbol checking. And
gattrib -- should be part of gschem too. Having PCB editor and
schematics editor separated is really a good choice, both tasks are very
different.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski