Re: gEDA-user: gschem guile scripting

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 14:15 -0600, John Doty wrote:

> Worrying about pin number visibility is not focusing on the work, but
> focusing on minor aspects of the presentation. That, of course, is the
> strength of fritterware.

Presentation may be the work, if you are writing a textbook. Indeed I
asked for something similar long time ago, but my desire was not big
enough to start hacking.

> PCB is the most troubled tool in the gEDA kit, not a good example for
> the path forward for the rest of the tools.

In my opinion PCB is much more complicated as gaf. My current
estimation: Writing a gschem/gnetlist clone may take about 1000 hours
for a smart guy employing modern tools like GTK/QT/Cairo/Pango and an OO
language like C++/Java/Puby/Python...
Writing a PCB clone should take much more time and needs really smart
guys -- DRC (realtime), all the exporters (Gerber), autorouters, and
fast 3D drawing.