Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 16:23 -0400, Windell H. Oskay wrote:
> > The conductors may not be copper. I've even worked with a board that had
> > two different conductive materials on the same physical layer.
>
> Interesting case. Let's suppose that you have conductors -- say niobium
> and copper -- on the same physical layer.  Does that have implications for
> PCB?  I'm not certain that I see any.
>
> I'd imagine that you ultimately need to generate separate gerber files for
> the two separate conductors. That means putting them on separate layers in
> PCB (or, I suppose, major architecture changes). If that was an inner
> layer, you could lay it out as two separate inner layers and that would
> work, so far as I can see.

With PCB as is.. you would probably use layer-groups to separate the
distinct sub-layers. I don't tend to use them, so I couldn't swear to
how the gerbers come out - but I'm certain it would not be hard to make
it produce separate gerbers if necessary (you might just need to
un-group the layers).

> If the two conductors are both on the top outer layer, I believe that you
> could use the same strategy, defining both to be in the same "component
> side" layer group.  Am I missing something?

Yep... I should read the full email before starting to reply ;)

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,