gEDA-user: layers for pcb

On 09/10/2010 05:20 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 18:11 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

If you use the line tool to cut up a polygon, how do you edit that cut
later?

If the cut was in fact an anti-line, just a clearance created, then it
would remain editable - although I'm not sure quite how you'd render it.

Whatever you call it, for the case of generated clearance gaps, a "layer"
of shapes that "cut and make disappear" other layers gets generated
according to an attribute attached to the trace object on a layer.

When you think of the algorithm for doing it, sets of objects just pop into existence
because you need them as an intermediate to processing to get to the end result.

The thing we are now calling layer group seems what Andrew wants to call a layer.
Then you'd still have intermediates and what to call them?

Anti-layer isn't my favorite.  I'd call some of the intermediates cut-sets or cut-layers.
Layer group as a name doesn't bother me.

John