Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

> And I think the only way to do ... in a non-kludgy way

Yet another example of you automatically putting down any idea that
isn't yours.  Please stop that.  Please consider the possibility that
someone might come up with a better (or even equally good) idea than
yours.  Constructive criticism is welcome.  Implied insults are not.

> is to treat the insulating planes as layers, each with its own
> geometry.

So, you're saying drills and outlines should be stored on "insulator"
drawing layers and the "conductor" drawing layers should only contain
the actual conductor shapes?

That means a simple two-layer board is going to give the user three
drawing layers, minimum, not including the [expected] silk/mask/paste.
I suspect asking about that third layer will become a FAQ if we don't
get the GUI right.

It also means that the boundary for an inner conductor layer may be
one of two possibilities - PCB would then need to know not just the
stackup, but the manufacturing sequence - which insulator carries the
conductor film before etching/printing.