Re: gEDA-user: why some skip KiCAD and gEDA

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 04:42, Markus Hitter <mah@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 10.09.2011 um 13:35 schrieb Stefan Salewski:
>
>> A lot of documentation can be bad.
>
> Ha! Now that's exactly the right answer to somebody offering writing
> documentation.

:)

I agree that too much documentation /can/ be bad - if its in a
non-searchable, badly written form, etc. E.g. if one has to dig
through volumes of massive stuff just to do simple tasks then it is a
bad thing.

But having lots of searchable (over the internet) docs is much better.
For example, I imagine a beginner will run a [google] search for "gEDA
beginners guide" or "gSchem Tutorial" whereas an advanced user will be
searching for say "PCB complete reference" or the keywords pertaining
to a particular issue.

At the moment, i feel that we should look at the docs from the user
perspective, figure out what is missing and then fill in the gaps
first. For example, i find that the documentation for creating
hierarchical designs (schematics encapsulated inside a gschem symbol)
is rather scattered so I'm going to start off with that first. If
anyone has already written this please let me know!

>From my experience, ONE person is accepted as the "book boss" and is
>responsible for organizing/coordinating the development/revisions of
>ALL user documentation.

+1. Let there be one (or some) people coordinating the documentation
on the gpleda site, in addition to individuals writing their own
documentation.

Regards,
~Abhijit