Re: [pygame] Do we still need Python 2.3 support from Pygame?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM, James Mills <prologic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I see no point in supporting older versions of
the Python language/interpter/vm/etc

One good reason to support older versions of the python language is cause other extensions haven't supported the new versions yet. Users want to be able to run all the different extensions they need for their work, and often that means you can't run the latest python. Of course in this case of pygame supporting 2.3, I think that problem is basically gone (although because of extension building changes between 2.3 and 2.4 that was a major problem for 2.4, and likely will be a problem for 3.0)

running - it will however force/encourage the
developer(s) in question to:

a) update their game!
b) update to the latest version of pygame and all it's new features,
fixesx and benefits.
c) update to the latest version of python and all it's greatness.

 actually what dropping older python version support often does is:
d) makes the lazy developer choose not to upgrade to the latest version of the extension

...In fact, I think a reasonable thing for pygame to do is say you want support for 2.3? then here's an installer for 1.8.1, we kept it around just for you.