Re: [pygame] New pygame.org website

On 26 December 2016 at 18:49, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The download page can be updated with the same admin interface that someone managed to post news with. There's currently 6 users able to edit it... so I guess one of those did it. I added Paul and yourself now as well. See this issue on 'the website needs updates': https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/204/ Updating news, and community management is definitely a role which is useful, and needs to be shared amongst a few people. I'll track the 'make document of admin people' work in that issue.

Thanks! I don't see any admin link, though? Is there a special URL I need to go to? My username on the site is takluyver, just in case you've given admin permissions to another account.

The open issue on the topic of dynamically generating the downloads page: https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/152 This needs a jinja2 template, and a script which iterates over the 'downloads' repo. I'd suggest basing the html on the existing html. Whilst there are better layout options, that would be pretty easy to do for now, and is familiar for existing pygame downloads page users. There are more details to consider of course (like making an actual downloads repo and moving existing files in... and meta data for the files).

There's been a couple of efforts to move the wiki into version control. There's even a wiki in the bitbucket version control, and scripts to convert the html into markup formats that bitbucket supports. (there's an issue open on this topic). However, in practice, waaaaay less people updated it without a gui (Yes, even markdown and rst is a turn off for quick edits). Pointing them to the bitbucket interface also meant very few edits. I think it was 5-10x less edits. Furthermore even requiring a login means 5-10x less edits (100x if you include the deluge of spam). When those numbers are multiplied together... it meant a tiny amount of wiki edits were happening. Then the bitbucket wiki started getting spammed to hell, but we didn't have tools to moderate it. Along with the edits dropping close to zero, I moved things back to the website wiki. But now there are pretty good web gui tools for markdown. Here's the issue on the wiki topic... but it needs a lot more thought on the topics of spam and ease of use. https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/153/wiki-website-generation-from-wiki-repo

Burn out for the website admins, and website defacement because of spam means that a workable solution for spam prevention needs to be in place first for any wiki replacement.

Keeping the existing game data for me, and a lot of project authors is very important. For me the main purpose of the website should be to help people making games have a community of makers. Showing your work is often one of the only rewards for making these projects in the first place. Seeing people upload their game to a website for the first time, I always see a grin on their face.

OK, it sounds like we'll need to build on the old site more than creating a new one, then. What is available on the server (e.g. Python version)? Could you give other people SSH access to it?

Thanks,
Thomas