Re: [pygame] Tutorial... GUI

On, Thu Sep 27, 2007, RR4CLB wrote:

> Marcus
>
> "This makes both types unusable for the description of graphical elements"
>
>     I am a little confused, did you already have it set up for
> ATK/AT-SPI? Or it works with them, but not yet for windows?

No. The user interface controls of OcempGUI currently do not support
ATK/AT-SPI, but it is planned in a later version (possibly around
version 0.3.0).

What I meant was, that the screen readers I tried so far were only able
to support MSAA (or ATK/AT-SPI) enabled applications and the console,
thus leaving applications, which do not implement those features, aside
and inaccessible for users of assistive technologies. They were not
capable of distinguishing between colors or something like that but
merely relied upon those accessibility libraries to provide the
necessary information.

>     I can read one button that is labeled. The graphic symbols used
>     for buttons either are standard icons which have numbers, or the
>     screen reader just makes a copy of the image and numbers it. So
>     when passing over the button it will cross-reference it and give
>     it the name it has for that graphic symbol. But still does not
>     explain why when having 2 buttons on the same line it sees one,
>     but not the other. Yet at the end it sees the 3 min, max, and
>     close symbols. Now, the title bar and all of the stuff are on the
>     same line, including the 2 buttons, which is not right; button,
>     title, min, max, close.

This sounds like it identifies the menu button of the window as button.
The title, min, max and close controls are native Windows controls,
which it places on the window created for the pygame display.  I guess,
that it provides you only those information and the size, the window
occupies on your screen.

So you can minimize, maximize or close the window, read its title bar
and access the window menu button (which provides information in a menu
like "properties, "minimize", "maximize", "close").

All those items are part of the native window layout, Win32 applications
use, not of the pygame window itself.

It does not sound to me like it would identify anything which is shown
within the pygame window (such as the both test buttons). This leads us
once more to the assumption, that the screen reader can not identify
anything on the pygame window, which would make it necessary to provide
additional information using the offered accessibility technologies such
as MSAA and ATK/AT-SPI.

Regards
Marcus