Re: gEDA-user: a pcb level panelizer tool

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Rick Collins wrote:
> Ok, I didn't realize that the philosophy of open source was to exclude
> everyone who doesn't think like you.  I'll look elsewhere to see if I can find
> open source tools with supporters who are a bit more open minded.

Having watched this thread for quite a while, I feel compelled to
respond.

The open-source philosophy is a do-it-yourself philosophy, combined
with sharing your results when you are finished.  That is, open-source
is about programmers writing programs for fun, and then encouraging others
to use their code.

Rick seems to want open-source developers to create software
meeting his specifications for him to use.  That's not the open-source
philosophy.  Rather, it's the commercial software philosophy.

Accordingly, I suggest that if Rick has some features he really wants
to see in PCB (or FreePCB, or Kicad), then he find one of the
developers of those packages, and *pay* them to build exactly what he
wants.  Otherwise, Rick is just wasting his time begging for a feature
set for free.  I suggest that Rick, as a business owner, knows that
you can't get others to do your work simply by begging and cajoling
them to do so.  Right?

Stuart