Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 21:23 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:24:27 +1200, Karl Mowatt-Wilson wrote:
>
> > Having researched the AutoCAD behaviour, it appears that some people
> > *hate* it,
>
> I'd be one of them.
>

> > apparently on the basis that they feel no distinction between
> > left-right vs right-left drawing of the bounding box,
>
> I'd feel very uneasy if selection works differently once in a while for
> no obvious reason. Why rely on subtle differences of mouse gestures if
> there are still 105 potential modifier keys? I'd vote for the obvious and
> sugest to use shift as a modifier to include objects that just touch the
> boundary.

Shift has special meaning for most selection code with regards multiple
selection, so we shouldn't use that.

What do other packages (besides Autocad) do here?

Cad packages are terrible for inventing non-standard user-interface
quirks like this. Once learnt they can save time, but the it does
steepen the learning curve.

What do non-technical drawing programs / office tools do here?

I'm hesitant to make another option for defining this behaviour on a
per-user basis, as I tend to believe in getting UI behaviours right.

On that note - I think I got the scroll wheel wrong when I added it.

Most other Gnome / GTK apps use scroll wheel unmodified for up/down,
shift for left/right, ctrl for zoom in / out. We use unmodified for zoom
in/out, and the two modifiers for the horiz / vertical scrolling. Oops!

Peter