Re: gEDA-user: discussion on what busses *mean*

Am 16.08.2010 00:07, schrieb DJ Delorie:

>> in general I don't like having 2 names for the same net, Maybe I'm
>> biased with my experience of vhdl synthesis, normally the name that you
>> don't expect survives synthesis and the other one gets lost (and that
>> even may vary between two releases of the same tool). So having only one
>> name has advantages.
>
> It's not the same NET.  Each NET has a name.  A *BUS* is a group of
> nets, you can refer to the names of the nets inside it or give the bus
> its own name.
>
> For example:
>
> Nets A0 to A15, D0 to D7, RD, WR, and EN are grouped into a bus.
>
> You can refer to the nets within the bus when you pull them out for
> a connection:
>
> 	A[0:15],D[0:7],RD,WR,EN  - all the nets
> 	A[0:1],RD,EN  - some of the nets
> 	A15,D[0:7],WR,EN  - some of the nets
>
> but we could also give the *grouping* a name, like "CONTROL_BUS".
>
> So, for example, you could give a bus a "netname" to enumerate the
> nets contained therein (just like we do for single-signal nets), as
> well as a "busname" to name the grouping.

DJ,

I agree, and I don't have a problem with it as long that name is used
consistently thruout the entire design, so your "CONTROL_BUS" on the
first sheet is the same from there on to the last sheet. As soon as you
only want to use a subset you have use the individual net names (at
least in my opinion).

- --

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Dietmar Schmunkamp