Re: gEDA-user: FUNDING

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:02:15 +0000
andrew whyte <ajwhyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>  I realise that I am joining a very established thread, but I'd like
> to put forward 2 cents worth.  Please don't be offended if what I'm
> saying isn't the same as your opinion.  I have used gEDA as the main
> (but not only) tool for EDA in my company for two and a half years, I
> don't fully understand it - but I can use it for everything that I
> need to do (principally draw schematics & layout PCBs).
>
>  I know companies that would like to use gEDA, but must support a
> back catalogue of designs that were created using other tools.  That
> is to say that they have no choice but to pay for their EDA tools.
>
>  These people do pay alot for thier tools, but they have no chioce!
> As a gEDA user,  I am not tied to it, and can use whatever software
> suits me.
>
>  In an open software model, the companies choose to use a given tool
> because it is the most cost effective in an open marketplace.  Whilst
> anyone who uses the tool is grateful to those who have created it,
> they don't owe anything to the developers who have published their
> source.  Guilt complexes won't work on any shrewd business person;
> and I doubt those tactics are what we want to be doing if we are to
> encourage the adoption of gEDA as a standard tool in the industry
> anyway.  This sounds very negative, so I'll try to describe how I
> think funding might be found.
>
>  Because of the GERBER standard, FOSS stands a chance of creating
> competitive tools for EDA,  this is much more difficult in areas where
> open standards don't exist.
>
>  I don't know if this has come up before in this thread, but my
> opinion is that we may be able to shake down the relevant industry
> groups & government bodies.  gEDA is special because it opens the
> marketplace to SMEs.  It seems to me that empowering individuals and
> companies is the purpose of groups like the IEEE (& the IET in the
> UK).  Maybe they could spare some money for the development of a tool
> that could bring a new standard to the development of electronic
> products?  Right now there is a big push to help small business hit by
> the recession - perhaps governments might have the right buttons
> pushed too?  FOSS is about community and openness and opportunities
> for all... right?

Negotiating with IEEE is a good idea. I wouldn't ask for money (first time),
but I'd ask them to put links to our website, or give them lectures about the
project.

I wouldn't go with a commercial company. We should stay open, and neutral.

Levente

--
Kovacs Levente <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx>
Voice: +36705071002