Re: gEDA-user: FUNDING

At 04:30 AM 12/14/2010, Kovacs Levente wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:02:15 +0000
andrew whyte <ajwhyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,

..snip..

>  Because of the GERBER standard, FOSS stands a chance of creating
> competitive tools for EDA,  this is much more difficult in areas where
> open standards don't exist.
>
>  I don't know if this has come up before in this thread, but my
> opinion is that we may be able to shake down the relevant industry
> groups & government bodies.  gEDA is special because it opens the
> marketplace to SMEs.  It seems to me that empowering individuals and
> companies is the purpose of groups like the IEEE (& the IET in the
> UK).  Maybe they could spare some money for the development of a tool
> that could bring a new standard to the development of electronic
> products?  Right now there is a big push to help small business hit by
> the recession - perhaps governments might have the right buttons
> pushed too?  FOSS is about community and openness and opportunities
> for all... right?

Negotiating with IEEE is a good idea. I wouldn't ask for money (first time),
but I'd ask them to put links to our website, or give them lectures about the
project.

Levente

I think working with the IEEE is a good idea. I'm not sure how you might go about getting money from them for FOSS development, but there might be something available. I am the chair of the IEEE consultants network in Washington, DC. We would be interested in working with anyone here to help promote gEDA to the rest of IEEE. Specifically, we would be happy to host a presentation if someone would like to tell our group about gEDA and why consultants should be interested in supporting the project. Or maybe a better place to start would be the advantages of FOSS in general. Beyond that, I can introduce the group to some of the local IEEE bodies and explore the possibilities available for funding.

I would offer to be a spokesperson for gEDA, but I know little about it. I am here to try to learn.

Rick