Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Wikibook ?

John Griessen wrote:

>> can the mediawiki content be handled like any plain text file?
>
> That page,  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_XML_dumps
> suggests The data is SQL,

You have to differentiate between the article/wikibook and the wiki as
a whole. The content of a wikipedia article, wikibook, or whatever, is
plain text -- text written in mediawiki syntax.
The data base is needed to connect the articles with discussions and
old versions. So, if you want to edit a wikibook locally, you'd just
transfer a text file. If you want a local copy of the whole wiki,
including discussions, versions and all, you'd have to clone the data
base hosted at wikimedia.org.

> so you need a database connected with a local install of mediawiki
> to use it.  If you created changes this way, Using mwdumper might
> let you edit it offline,

The source of the geda/pcb manual is just a single document in
mediawiki syntax. I'd recommend to simply copy said source file from
the server via the online. Edit locally and paste it back when done.
If you really feel the need to see locally, how the changes render, you
can paste the source to a local instance of mediawiki.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: