Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for gerbv

Steve Meier wrote:
> I am a little confused here. Are we discussing taking a gerber file and
> using it to generate the component location/rotations for a pick and
> place machine?
>
> If we are wouldn't it be a lot easier to use the pcb file to generate
> the file?

Yes, it would be immensely easier.  Straight-forward and sensible.

We're examining it from the viewpoint of a PCB assembly vendor who gets
nothing but Gerbers from users of less flexible tools than pcb :)

The "right" place in the tool flow is to generate it directly from PCB
in a form that is directly usable w/o human intervention.

 From the P&P vendor's viewpoint, that only solves a portion of his problem.

James from LilBro has joined the list and is following the conversation.
Maybe he would entertain a discount for "no human intervention required"
design data, and I suspect we could easily pump that out from PCB.  But
I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you that only solves part of his
problem.  And he's not the only vendor with the problem.

-dave