Re: gEDA-user: I need to open and print a PCB created in ExpressPCB:What are my options?

DJ Delorie wrote:

What diameter solder wire do people use? I was using a bent, pointy
metcal iron with an 0.5mm ish tip, and 0.5mm solder wire. (Some lead,
tin and copper alloy). I found that the solder balls up on the end of
the wire to the point where it can dwarf an 0402's contact pad.

I use metcal's 0.020 conical tip (about 0.5mm) and 0.020 solder.
Lately, I've been using solder paste - a dab on the pads, position the
part, use the iron to reflow it.  Less hands needed, and the part
doesn't move around as much.

Are you using one of the syringes that is pressure driven with a foot pedal valve? Or are you using a sharp toothpick?

-Dan (who hasn't started his challenge board yet partly due to his old weller which is about perfect for 1206's)