gEDA-user: My trolling, gerbv, gattrib

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the thread of flames I managed to start. Yes, he did make some
bad comments about gschem to start with, and I called him on it (rather
then let him spread FUD, I wanted to know what he found a problem). This
lets others judge whether he had a point or not.

Yes, I suspect he wants things which are unrealistic (a full commercial
grade integration with whatever simulator he happens to be running. Come
to think of it, I've not seen such integration even in commercial
packages).

I did have to resist the temptation to tell him this was all
impossible / unrealistic.

On a much more happy note, I had cause to use gerbv today (checking
someone's design), and it is looking brilliant. I really love the
reports on gerber file stats, and the fact I get sensible warnings if
something broke.

I suspect the layer load order from the command line has changed
though... I started gerbv from the commandline, and it seems to have
reversed the order from what I was used to. I'd expect last specified to
load on top of all others, which is what old gerbv did. I'm fairly
agnostic as to which way up the layers dialog should go, I realise that
changed.

I've been in contact with Ivan S. (regarding a patch for the ATTRIB
struct in my tree), and it seems he's interested in taking up some work
on gattrib some time in the coming months.  I suggested he get in
contact with you, as he may be looking to do some non trivial changes.

I'll be joining you at the virtual beta-release party tomorrow with
xgsh2pcb 0.1.2.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton