Re: gEDA-user: one fix for building under Solaris

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:32 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    I'm working on it now.  Man this has really turned into a can of
> worms, but it's good to get it straightened out.  It seems pkg-config
> (v0.23) is trying to call "gnome-config" which I, of course, do not
> have.  This is causing pkg-config to vomit in all sorts of
> interesting ways when called from the configure script.  (I'm trying
> to rebuild gtk+ with a sane PKG_CONFIG_PATH setting)
>
>    It seems I've screwed myself by installing the latest release
> (v0.23) of pkg-config, which seems to have suffered from "hey,
> everyone runs Linux with Gnome on a PC, right?" disease.  I just
> looked at the source code; it is hard-coded to call gnome-config.
> Dumb, dumb, dumb.  The pkg-config shipped with Solaris, v0.15.0,
> performs no such foolishness.  WTF?

   I spoke too soon, it does indeed perform such foolishness.  The
old pkg-config blows up when looking for information regarding glib:

apophis$ /usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion glib
sh: glib-config: not found
sh: glib-config: not found
sh: glib-config: not found

apophis$

   Now, I'd have thought that glib-config might actually come with
glib, but a little googling suggests that glib-config (and gnome-
config) were made obsolete and removed upwards of four years ago.
So, why pkg-config outright fails (see the output below) without it
is quite beyond me.  Have a look at this simple test, comparing the
output of pkg-config v0.15.0 with v0.23, with the same arguments, for
gtk+-2.0.  Here's what happened:

apophis$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig /usr/bin/pkg-config
--modversion gtk+-2.0
2.14.6
apophis$
apophis$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig /usr/local/bin/pkg-
config --modversion gtk+-2.0
sh: gnome-config: not found
Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
Package 'fontconfig', required by 'cairo', not found
apophis$

   Nice.  Do you have any thoughts on this, or shall I go find the 12-
year-old kid who wrote pkg-config and pour a few hundred fire ants
down his pants?

   (Please forgive my crappy mood, I'm on day #3 of trying to get
this built, and the process has broken my existing installation, so
I'm dead in the water...and I HATE the madness that keeps spewing
forth from the world of Gnome.  I very much appreciate your
assistance and guidance here.)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire