Re: gEDA-user: pcb DRC

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 02:08 +0100, Dietmar Schmunkamp wrote:

> The pad has a width of ~16 mil and I used the autorouter to connect it.
> I set the trace width to 8mil with 8 mil gap. So I got a trace to the
> pad with 8 mil width on the "north" side of the pad (not in the center
> of the pad). As this particular pad is the power pad I wanted to connect
> it with a wider trace (for cases where the trace is centered, I simply
> widened the trace), so I tried to (ab)use a polygon for that. While I'm
> able to connect a net to a polygon (using the join command), this is not
> possible for connecting a pad to a polygon. I have a circumvention for
> this: create the polygon with the correct gaps and use a parallel wire
> to connect the pad to the polygon.

You can use a "solid" polygon to join to pads, you want the "s" keyboard
short-cut. It is similar to "j", but operates on the polygon - rather
than the trace. The "solid" polygon will connect to everything it
touches.

[snip]

> I like the DRC within PCB very much, but as a final check I'd like to
> have a DRC check on gerber data (that's all the manufacturer gets), so
> does anybody know whether there is a tool that's provides such a check?
> I loaded the gerber files into gerbv and did a manual check, but an
> automated check would be better, There must be some (possibly $$$)
> programs to do that, or how do the manufacturers provide feedback to
> theier customers?

I believe there are some fab's who run a DRC check with a web interface
as you upload the design files. I doubt this will be available until
you've committed to fabrication though.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,