Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mar 19, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:
>
>> BTW., there were electronic circuitries before PCBs were invented and
>> the future of electronics manufacturing is most likely something
>> three-dimensional, arbitrarily shaped.
>
> Yes. I'm now working with two groups that are fabricating parts with
> 3-D "printers". I've been wondering when the technology will reach the
> point where the printing could include conductors, with components
> placed during the build-up, and then buried.
>
> But I suppose describing this is beyond what we can conceptualize here
> at this time. Planes are difficult enough.

As long as this 3D structure is built mainy manhattan style, with
horizontal conductive layers and vias, all conductive layers become
component layers, an element must define keepout zones on those layers
that it's housing penetrates.  It's pads are on layers that correspond
to the z-positions of it's pins.  Before you start making your footprint
library you need to decide on the thickness and distance between the
conductive layers.  The kind of tool we were discussion here could do
that very nicely.  A GUI plugin needs to be written, that allows to move
the 3delements up and down in the layer stack. Maybe even rotate off
plane, but that is initially best done by hand as a separate
3dfootprint.

One more argument to implement holes as shapes on a hole layers.

--
Stephan