Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Mar 19, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:

> This is what bothers me about a hole layer,  un plated vs plated,  the holes do not define electrical contact, the plating does.
>
> Or, rivits, or the soldered wires on hand assembled multilayer boards.
>
> Well with silver ink circuit printing. The hole in the sprayed on insulators does define the connectivity....

This demonstrates a flaw in the "hole layer" concept. It doesn't actually capture the geometry. But if the layers are physical, the objects in them might have different properties. So a plated-through hole is geometrically a place in a layer that is mostly insulator, but has a conductive annulus at a particular place.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx