Re: gEDA-user: Out and In symbols in gschem & getting net names to come out in PCB

On Mon, 02 May 2011 01:49:57 +0100
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 19:23 -0500, David W. Schultz wrote:
> > On 05/01/2011 07:01 PM, Stephen Ecob wrote:
> > > Are there any gschem oldtimers around who can explain the
> > > rational for the :1 requirement ?
> > > If there's no good reason for it I'd be happy to write a patch
> > > that removes it.
> >
> > I am not an old timer but I believe that this is required to attach
> > that net name to pin 1 of the symbol. The net name doesn't actually
> > include the :1.
>
> Exactly right - and there is a reluctance (certainly from me) to
> create special cases where that attribute can be dropped for single
> pin symbols.

As a user of gschem, I don't consider this a special case at all.
On contrary, it's the normal case of creating named pin connections or
power rails.  I never even use the net= attribute for hidden
power/ground so the :1 doesn't buy me anything.

+1000 for a patch to make I/O pin symbols visually clean without
requiring maintaining duplicate attributes as at present.

Regards,
Colin