Re: gEDA-user: PCB, I lost my layer colors

Hi Ineiev,

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 05:54 +0000, Ineiev wrote:
> On 10/19/09, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:13:40 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> >> Why do we need a tick box to preserve layer attributes? IMO, layer
> >> attributes should _always_ be preserved.
> > +1
> > (unless layers attributes have to be skipped for backward compatibility)
>
> I considered the next scenarios:
>
> (a) load an old file (without layer attributes), save it
>     so that older PCB versions could read it
>     (they won't if any layer attributes are present)
> (b) load a new file (with any layer attributes),
>     save it adding colour attributes when they are absent
> (c) load an old file, save it with colours
> (d) load a new file, save it in a backward-compatible way
>     (though without colours)
>
> As it is done now, (a) and (b) are the defaults, (c) and (d) are performed
> with changing the checkbutton.
>
> Of course, all those (and many more) options can be implemented very easily
> with an external script (perl, awk, sed, so on); if the control in PCB
> is not desirable, I'll remove it and just write backward-incompatibly.
>
> >> Ps. I'd rather see updates to copyright headers done as a separate
> >> commit if possible. (Certainly the address updates etc..).
> >> Editing dates / adding authors is fine.
>
> Thank you; I'll correct.

> >> Hmm, I'd have thought the command line arguments would have been a neat
> >> way of overriding the layer colours. I'm pretty easy either way though.
> >>
> >> I like the addition of the actions.
> > I'd prefer to let command line action string override whatever is given
> > in the file. This would be in line with the principle of least surprise.
> > If I deliberately set a color on the command line, then I'd really like
> > to see this color applied in the GUI.
>
> The sequence is:
>
> (1) the command-line arguments like `--layer-color-1 green' are parsed;

How can exotic color names like "green" be given in an unambiguous way ?

1) By means of a well defined name e.g. X11 color names ?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names)
"green" would have to be "Green".

2) By means of a hex triplet like `--layer-color-1 0x00FF00'  ?

3) Reinvent the color wheel and create a set of gEDA colors :(

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.