Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:30:46 +0000
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 21:05 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> > I fully agree. There will not be much real benefit from
> > Windows/Ubuntu-type of users.
>
> Oi.. lets not forget that at least one of the gEDA developers (me) is an
> Ubuntu user. There is no shame in wanting your tools to "just work"!
>
> /me goes back to writing kernel profiling driver for intel GPUs to
> squeeze more framerate out of PCB+GL.

Seconded - Ubuntu here as well.  They do a reasonably good job of making things "just work".

If something isn't in Ubuntu's repository, or it is broken or outdated, then I'll seek out a .deb or I'll pull down the latest sources and build it myself.  So far, only PCB and one or two unrelated programs fall into the build-it-myself category.

But, while I may be familiar with the command line, that doesn't automatically mean I *want* to use it.  If I can get things done efficiently without touching a terminal, I am happy. :-)

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."