Re: [pygame] Multimedia: was: Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

Hi Bob !

You said Python, not pygame. I agree that it could be a big deal for pygame's popularity, but it wouldn't really be pygame anymore if you made it like Processing.. it would be a layer on top of pygame.
No, don't misunderstand me. I don't want the Processing equivalent in Python.
I just want to use Pygame to do GUI stuff _as_ Processing can use Java's capabilities.

We're going circles here :)

But note: I am trying to create war here or valuing one over the other.
I am just trying to point to what I think would be great for python: to be able to do
multimedia content, CD-Roms, and other stuff.
Traditional multimedia content, as done in Director or Flash, doesn't use menus at all and doesn't make any significant use of native GUI widgets either. Most of the time it's fullscreen. There's nothing that stops you from doing any of these things in pygame. It's certainly much more of a chore to do such a project with Python, but it's definitely possible.
Director has menus and I think there is some OS stuff in Flash.
But I agree, this is not an integral part of the environment, although you can use
Xtras to do this stuff in Director.

I am not thinking in lines of "traditional multimedia content". We're in the 21st century
now and I believe in a language like Python to take us further into the bright future : )
Forget about Macromedia.

cheers

thor