Re: [pygame] Multimedia: was: Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

On Oct 25, 2004, at 17:29, altern wrote:

Well, the nice thing about Processing is that you can extend your Processing code with ALL the ability
of Java itself. Thus it is extremely wide environment if you're willing to go out of the Processing world
and enter the world of Java. And then you've got a cross platform environment that is quite powerful.
I have never seen a real application built with Processing that does any more than what you'd be able to do with pygame by itself.. though I haven't really paid any attention to it since its beginnings.
Messing around with PyObjC on Mac, trying wxPython on PC and I don't know what to do on Linux
just to make a cross platform application that draws something on a panel is quite cumbersome and not fun.
I feel like this is missing from Python, but I am sorry to say that I don't write C and can't do it myself.
It would be extremely interesting project though and should increase the popularity of Python enormously.
Just look at Processing.
wxPython is going to work nearly as well as Swing does cross-platform.. so that puts it more or less on equal ground with Java in the cross-platform GUI arena.
that would be nice, but when is this gonna be real?
Ask them!  It's close enough for most purposes already.

No C knowledge should be necessary to write a framework that provides you with an equivalent environment to Processing.
I don't agree that it would make that much of a dent in Python's popularity. The audience of a tool like Processing probably isn't as big as you think it is :)
not in the commercial world, but it is on the academic world. Its a great tool to experiment/prototype with graphics with a low cost on coding and programming knowledge. For example, teaching multimedia students (usually non technical backgrounds) to program in C++ can be nearly mission impossible but this is not the same in Python or Processing. I actually preffer and choose Python as i believe is more apropiated for this goal.
I agree with that, but I'm not so sure that the Python toolkits available are quite ready for this task. I do know of one successful endeavor of using Python for teaching this sort of course, but it uses a bunch of OS X specific technologies: http://drawbot.grafitron.com/

The problem is that there is no library that combines different things you need like easy grafics with pull down menus and other GUI widgets like dialogues, alerts ... We are actually working in this direction to combine wxpython with openGL to create a framework for this. I am not sure which direction will take but eventually you could use it for anything like yo can do with processing. We are getting close and it actually took a ridiculous amounth of time and energy compared to what we expected it would take.
wxPython + OpenGL has little to do with pygame.. unless you're using it for sound or input events?

-bob